Steelers season goes all year long so whether we’re breaking down draft choices, recapping OTA’s, or looking around for mentions of your Black & Gold we’ve got you covered. Here’s what’s being said about your Pittsburgh Steelers around the block.
The Steelers open their three-day mandatory minicamp today, which is their last time together before training camp opens next month. ESPN’s Scott Brown gives us five things to watch out for during the Steelers minicamp.
- Mike Mitchell will get his first chance to work with Troy Polamalu. Polamalu did not attend any of the previous voluntary workouts so this minicamp will be the first meeting for the new safety pair before camp.
- Jordan Zumwalt will be practicing with the squad for the first time. His school, UCLA had not completed its school year, so he was not previously permitted to attend OTAs.
- Jason Worilds has been nursing a calf injury so far and has had limited participation in the OTAs. It will be interesting to see how much he participates in the minicamp.
- The wide receivers should definitely be worth paying some attention to during the minicamp. There is definitely competition for the starting spot opposite Antonio Brown and it’s expected to continue into training camp.
- Watch out for the sleepers. Brown says that DT Al Lupuaho is one player worth keeping an eye on as one of those under the radar guys who end up earning a roster spot after standing out in minicamp and training camp.
Lawrence Timmons: Leader of the Linebackers
As Jourdon LaBarber of the PPG reminds us, the season will open with Lawrence Timmons as the oldest and most experienced linebacker. With the minicamps being the first time the entire linebacking corps will get the chance to practice together, LaBarber explains that Timmons is taking this opportunity to set himself apart as the leader of the unit.
“I just want to be great. I want to stand out, be a great leader for this defense, and I’m just trying to leave it all out on the field.” – Lawrence Timmons
Rocky Bleier’s coach
— The MMQB (@theMMQB) June 16, 2014